So why use infographics? Infographics have taken the internet by storm, as we are increasingly more inclined to process data visually than through the written word. Neuroscience explains why: based on research from 3M (the maker of Post-its, among other things), 90% of data transmitted to the brain is visual, and visuals are processed 60,000 times faster in the brain than text! Now, smart businesses are using these visually pleasing, data-rich illustrations to educate and engage new customers. Check out this collection of marketing infographics that are packed full of useful information and data visualization.
There are a number of great reasons why you should consider using infographics in your business. Here’s a few…
- They are visually impactful and easily to quickly scan with your eyes, both aspects that match up with today’s web user
- They present details and data easily and in an organized manner
- They lend authority to your expertise on the given subject
- One of the greatest advantages of using infographics is because they can go viral, which can often result in large traffic spikes and search engine benefits
- Infographics are images, they are easily shared, and can make the rounds at many image sharing sites (as per social media expert Dan Zarrella, images have more shares and likes on Facebook than any other post type—even video)
And to illustrate the power of infographics, what better way than—you guessed it— by checking out this infographic on inbound marketing for local businesses.
How to make your own infographics
If you would like to make your own infographics, you can find sites and tools that allow you to jump in and develop breathtaking infographics. At the basic level you can make them in PowerPoint, which isn’t as tough as you may think. If you’re wanting a somewhat more advanced or polished option, you should explore a tool like Visual.ly, where you can transform existing templates to your needs, or perhaps make use of an online service like PiktoChart or Infogram.
What if you have no clue how to design?
Outsource it! We often don’t have the time, inclination or skills to get this sort of work done, particularly if you’ve never really done any design before. No worries, because there are great designers out there just dying to create awesome infographics for you. Some of the places you can find that can assist you in this regard, and in most cases at reasonable cost, include 99Designs, Elance, Odesk, Fiverr, and Freelancer.com. You should definitely request examples, set parameters and expectations, and are equipped to communicate your vision clearly with your outsourcer, so there aren’t any surprises!